Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer, by USA Beverage, Inc., Pennsylvania

I found this can of Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer at D.C. Express Market, in Washington, District of Columbia. I always like to pop into (no pun intended) bodegas and corner stores since you never know what you might come across. Just yesterday I came saw some RC Cola a the Newton Foodmart by a school here in D.C., and I intended to buy a can on my way back but they were closed. Oh well.


View Larger Map

The yellow can caught my eye and I had never seen the brand before, so I snagged one. A few days later there was the distinctive sound of the aluminum popping open. The first things I noticed were that it didn't have any head and it had a strong syrupy and mediciney smell. Once in the glass it had a dark brown color, but while being poured it was more of a reddish brown.

So what did this birch beer taste like? I have not had any Barq's root beer in a while, but that is what it reminded me of. It is a strong taste that lingers, including the mediciney part. It also made me think of root beer candy sticks.

I would not buy it again, but it was fine and certainly not bad. I really enjoy the can design, from the color to the birds and the Olde English style font and the banner underneath. We will give them a B-.

1 comment:

  1. Hah hah, wow, Birch beer. I haven't seen that since I was in... well... Pennsylvania. My friends used to make homemade birch beer.

    ReplyDelete