Sunday, February 26, 2012

Iron Thistle Scotch Ale, Rahr & Sons Brewing Company, Fort Worth, TX

I tried this local Fort Worth beer at the Anvil Pub in the Deep Ellum neighborhood in Dallas...yesterday!  I always try and order a local beer because its nice to be able to try things when traveling that you would probably never be able to try otherwise.  But I remember hearing recently that beer is essentially bread and bread goes bad relatively quickly, so:

distance = time

bread + time = bad bread

beer = bread

beer + time = bad beer

I know that it really is simple to understand, but for those of us that like beer it is a good fact to keep in mind! Order local because it is fresher!

The Anvil was a pretty typical bar, but had a really good selection of great beers.  The Deep Ellum neighborhood is kind of a hipster area, if you need to categorize it.  But I found almost everything to be closed and not many businesses to begin with.  Basically it is a gentrified former industrial area (sandwiched between streets named after Cesar Chavez and Malcom X...which brings to mind a certain Chris Rock joke).


The Iron Thistle Scotch Ale was great and I ordered it based on the recommendation of the great, very informed and very helpful bartender...he even gave me some samples.  I unhesitatingly give this an A!

It was sweet and caramely and not what I expected, not knowing much about this type of beer.  It reminds me almost of Fat Tire in its sweetness, which hangs out on the front of the tongue.

This is a seasonal beer, so make sure to order it now if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment